Saturday 12 November 2011

Art Technician Insight

Being creative is a bit of a juggling act for me. I balance my artwork with a full time job as an Art Technician in a busy secondary school. For most people my job is a mystery and I often get asked what it involves. As part of an ongoing series of blog posts I'll give an insight into the daily life of an Art Technician.

Prepping for a Monoprinting Lesson.

We have roughly 24 students per group so most jobs I do are x 24. For this lesson the students needed 2 sheets of A4 each, one sheet of brown parcel paper and one cartridge paper. This is my work desk with piles of ripped tissue paper in various colours ready to stick down to add a splash of colour to black monoprints.



Next job is to stick down 2 or 3 different colours per sheet with a slight overlap, when the tissue paper overlaps it create new colours. Pritt-Stick is my glue of choice for this after trying many types it's the quickest and the least messy.



I always finish off a job like this by wrapping a strip of paper around it and writing on the front. There are 3 reasons for this – it keeps the paper together until it's needed, it helps me and the teacher remember what it was for (I often do these jobs way in advance) and it also stops other teachers taking it and then you have to do the job again!


*UPDATE*

Here are some of the Monoprints in progress and some of the finished ones.
The students were working on a project on patterns and colour.


3 comments:

  1. Jenny- those are beautiful, remind of your work- can't believe students are going to print on top of them! Love to see some of the end results...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't want to be rude, but now what?
    Love the piles of torn paper on the table.
    As a rule I like the 'ingredients' of my art/craft work better than any finished result

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about being an art technician - you do the preparation and hand it over. Sometimes you have no idea what it's for and then you find out months later! I think I have some photos of the finished monoprints though..

      Delete